Botanical Name: Helichrysum italicum
Country of Origin: France
Plant Part: Flowers
Distillation Method: Steam
About the Oil
This is an amazing Helichrysum, with over 40% Neryl Acetate (the ester naturally occuring in this oil attributed with anti-spasmodic properties). Helichrysum, also known as "Everlasting" or "Immortelle"essential oil, is a native species to eastern and northern regions of Africa. It is now adapted to cultivation in the Mediterranean regions of Italy, Yugoslavia, Spain and France.
There are over 500 different species of Helichrysum though it is only the 'italicum' species that is the true (immortelle/everlasting) varietal with the regenerative actions attributed to this multi-faceted and unique oil. This particular variety has been GCMS-verified to contain among the highest levels of 'Italidiones', the di-ketones only found in Helichrysum.
This variety of Helichrysum has been extensively studied in Europe for its abilities in promoting nerve regeneration, improving skin conditions, reducing inflammation while speeding healing, and reducing scar formation by encouraging tissue regeneration.
Aromatically, it is thought to open the heart and clear old emotional wounds. Considered a very important essential oil in aromatherapy, we are frequently delighted to receive wonderful reviews from clients who tell us about their profoundly positive healing results.
This Helichrysum essential oil is light bodied and clear in color with a distinctly medicinal and herbaceous, bright top note followed by camphoraceous, musty, green tea-like middle notes and a cedar-like woody undertone.
It will blend well with chamomile (both Roman and German), Lavender, Mimosa, Oakmoss, Geranium, Clary Sage, Rose, Clove and all citrus oils.
In Europe, Helichrysum has been used for generations as a tonic for respiratory complaints such as asthma, bronchitis and whooping cough. Headaches (including migraines), liver ailments, allergies and psoriasis were also commonly cured with this flower either in tea or in oil form.
As an analgesic and regerative wound healer, Helichrysum, if applied in time, prevents hemorrhaging. It is also very effective in relieving joint pain associated rheumatoid arthritis, tendonitis, and reducing inflammation in cases of repetitive action injury.
Therapeutic Properties Described In The Aromatherapy Literature
Anti-allergenic, Anti-inflammatory, Antitussive, Antiseptic, Astringent, Cholagogue, Cictrisant, Diuretic, Expectorant, Fungicidal, Hepatic, Nervine.
Our current stock of Helichrysum has an excellent chemistry profile. Its unique natural molecular components include over 40% of Neryl Acetate; the anti-spasmodic and muscle relaxant, alpha, beta and gamma-curcumenes; potent anti-inflammatory compounds (also found in Ginger) and high levels of tissue regenerating di-ketones. This oil has been distilled using stainless steel distillation equipment (and is sometimes known as 'copper-free' for this reason) to ensure none of these delicate molecular components are altered and is sometimes known as 'copper-free' for this reason. Neryl Acetate levels over 20% are only found in the 'serotinum' sub species, a critical factor when discussing Helichrysum's therapeutic actions. Neryl Acetate may serve to unlock old injuries, and is adept at releasing persistent muscular knots.
- Supportive for those involved in "emotional work", personal or client-based.
- The aroma is thought to uplift the subconscious.
- Facilitates the release of Qi (Chi), unblocking and regulating this essential energy in the body.
- Helps individuals who are emotionally blocked, dispersing deeply embedded repression.
- May assist in untying deeply-rooted emotional knots, restoring freedom and compassion to the soul.
Skin, Muscle & Joints
- "The pain- reducing, analgesic, and regenerative effect of everlasting (Helichrysum) is unique: If applied in time, it prevents hemorrhaging. It is also very effective for joint pain..." - Dr. Kurt Schnaubelt, Advanced Aromatherapy.
- Effective antibacterial and healing agent for burns, open sores and cuts.
- Soothes and cuts inflammation in dermatitis, eczema and allergic reactions.
- Contains anti-inflammatory sesquiterpene hydrocarbons that dissipate free radicals.
- Suitable in healing wounds and for scars, resulting from accidents, surgery or acne.
- Chelation of metals involves converting them to a chemically inert form that can be excreted without further interaction with the body.
- Supports liver function by potentially drawing heavy metals and toxins out of the body.
- Noted as one of, if not the most effective detoxification supporting essential oils by Battaglia in 'The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy'.
- Indicated by some users for support with symptoms of tinnitus: drop on a cotton ball, placed in the ear while sleeping each night for two weeks) and other forms of hearing loss or damage.
- Calms chronic coughs and asthmatic attacks.
- Aids with bronchial infections.
- Lifts depression and lethargy.
- Quells nervous exhaustion and other stress-related conditions.
Application and Use
Helichrysum sub-species 'serotinum' is considered unique for therapeutic use.
- On burns and open wounds: apply undiluted as soon as possible for immediate relief - only 1-3 drops are necessary.
- On recent impact injuries: apply undiluted immediately to prevent initial swelling and reduce healing time; use enough to cover the area in a thin layer (this is often only a few drops). Same for 'twists' (an ankle, for example). Repeat application again in 30 minutes if necessary. We have had good results with this at full strength concentration.
- On older injuries (more than a few hours): use diluted in any carrier oil. We personally use Jojoba most of the time, though any carrier will work. The dilution is a matter of personal preference, though we keep a bottle of 20% Helichrysum on-hand (this is 6ml in 24ml carrier oil, to fill a one-ounce glass bottle. We use this for sports injuries and pain like backaches, and stiff joints. For neck pain, we sometimes will use at full strength. For many users, relief is reported as nearly immediate (though this depends on how deep within the body the damage tissues are and how old the injury might be) and more profound than products which simply mask the pain. For further support on inflamed areas, 1% German Chamomile can be included in the blend.
- Rose Hip Seed oil's triple unsaturated fatty acids may strengthen the cell membrane and, when in combination with the regenerative qualities of Helichrysum, can heal wounds with little to no scarring. The following combination is suggested in Schnaubelt's 'Advanced Aromatherapy': 2ml Helichrysum essential oil and 1ml Sea Buckthorn essential oil in 4oz Rose Hip Seed Oil and 4oz Tamanu oil; for 'old' scars, use 2ml Helichrysum, 1ml Sea Buckthorn, and 1ml Sage OR Rosemary Verbenone essential oil in the same base.
We also highly recommend Calendula essential oil for wound healing; there is a large body of scientific evidence this oil has strong tissue healing properties and should synergize excellently with Helichrysum.
- Apply in a 5-20% dilution to areas of numbness or tingling; promotes regeneration.
- A strong dilution can be used (1:1 in coconut or jojoba oil) and massaged twice per day into the feet. The reflex points of the feet corresponding to the liver may be of greatest help in this process.
Safety Helichrysum essential oil is noted as non-toxic, a non-irritant and non-sensitizing. It can be used topically at full-strength concentration, yet if ingesting, pregnant or breast-feeding, please consult a physician.
"Just a note of thanks for the speedy delivery and the great product. You can add TMJ/facial pain to uses list...which is how I've been using it. I mixed the 1oz bottle in a 2oz bottle of organic jojoba and am applying to TMJ muscles and neck (also chest)...also have experienced many interesting spirit/emotional 'releases'... "